How do I get the WinForm Designer to totally ignore a property on a custom control?
This must be a FAQ, but I can’t find a duplicate question!
There are lot of different attributes that control what the WinForm Designer does with properties on a custom control, I am never clear on the one I should use in this case.
I am looking for:
- Designer does not show property in grid
- Designer does not read value of property
- Designer does not set property to default value
- E.g. Designer behaves as if the property was not there.
- Designer does not complain if it has already done one of the above before the attributes were added (hard!)
The code that is giving me the problem is:
this.eventListControl.FilterSets = ((SystList<FilterSet>)(resources.GetObject("eventListControl.FilterSets")));
The FilterSets property should never have been touched by the winforms designer; it is now not Serializable and MsDev falls over every time a form that used the eventListControl is changed!
I think you can use [Browsable (false)] and [DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Hidden)]
The second attribute prevents the property from appearing in InitializeComponent