Generate report with multiple features using Java
I am using BIRT in eclipse to generate my report and I found out I can't include a table of content (ToC) inside the report. I tried to store sub-titles and page numbers in an array and display them but that's causes various problems.
I need a tool to create a generic report (in PDF format) that supports :
- Retrieving data from database.
- Custom page layout : Portrait and landscape in the same report.
- Header & Footer.
- Page breaks : Ex: Split tables and add the table header in the new page.
- ToC : I need a main ToC in the beginning of the report and multiple sub-ToC inside it.
It's fine if your suggested tool can't do some of the above and instead it's doable with java.
If I can't include Portrait and landscape layouts in the same report, then I need it to be able to combine multiple reports and update page numbers.
EDIT : I am currently looking into using Jasper Report or Pentaho. Still searching for an answer.
Jasper report will definitely serve all your needs. it will
- Retrieve data from database.
- Although, the JasperPrint objects does not support mixed page formats, there is a work-around for this. The entire report orientation can be changed to Landscape which can easily accommodate the data in the Portrait format.
- The header/footers can be configured easily.
- Tables and images can be included.
- You can see the page break example here.
- This example illustrates the simple example of creating TOC.