Strange sbt bug where I cannot import sbt project due to keys colliding with themselves

After changing my build.sbt file in IntelliJ, I get this strange error report where it appears that "keys" (I don't know what these keys even are) are colliding with themselves. Researching this error message only finds github pull requests where people are requesting library maintainers to prefix their keys to avoid key collisions. How can these built-in IntelliJ keys collide with themselves? It makes no sense. Here is the excerpt from the stack trace:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Some keys were defined with the same name but different types: 
'ssExtractBuild' (sbt.Task[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.BuildData], sbt.Task[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.BuildData]), 
'settingData' (sbt.Task[scala.collection.Seq[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.SettingData]], sbt.Task[scala.collection.Seq[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.SettingData]]), 
'taskData' (sbt.Task[scala.collection.Seq[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.TaskData]], sbt.Task[scala.collection.Seq[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.TaskData]]), 
'extractStructure' (sbt.Task[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.StructureData], sbt.Task[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.StructureData]), 
'ssExtractDependencies' (sbt.Task[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.DependencyData], sbt.Task[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.DependencyData]), 
'ssExtractProjects' (sbt.Task[scala.collection.Seq[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.ProjectData]], sbt.Task[scala.collection.Seq[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.ProjectData]]), 
'ssExtractAndroid' (sbt.Task[scala.Option[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.AndroidData]], sbt.Task[scala.Option[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.AndroidData]]), 
'ssExtractRepository' (sbt.Task[scala.Option[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.RepositoryData]], sbt.Task[scala.Option[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.RepositoryData]]), 
'ssOptions' (org.jetbrains.sbt.Options, org.jetbrains.sbt.Options), 
'commandData' (sbt.Task[scala.collection.Seq[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.CommandData]], sbt.Task[scala.collection.Seq[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.CommandData]]), 
'ssExtractProject' (sbt.Task[scala.collection.Seq[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.ProjectData]], sbt.Task[scala.collection.Seq[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.ProjectData]]), 
'ssExtractPlay2' (sbt.Task[scala.Option[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.Play2Data]], sbt.Task[scala.Option[org.jetbrains.sbt.structure.Play2Data]])

And the full stack trace is here: https://pastebin.com/ymZvgMCj

This happened after I added a dependency to my build.sbt. I thought it was the problem at first and tried removing it, but now my build.sbt doesn't even work in its previous state! I've cleared my intellij's cache, restarted, deleted my .idea folder in that project entirely and reimported the entire project itself into intellij, and I still have the same problem. What could have happened between the last time I changed my build.sbt and now that would break the project like this?

Answers


I too had the same issue, I 'fixed' it by nuking and reinstalling IntelliJ.

Intellij Version: IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.5 Build #IU-172.4343.14 Scala Plugin Version: 2017.2.13

Steps that did not work

  • Switching git branch
  • Invalidate caches / Restart
  • Removing .idea directory & reimport
  • Changing SBT config to not use the bundled jar

Go to

Preference -> Build, Execution, Deployment 
                  -> SBT 
                      -> check "Use SBT shell for build and import" 
                           -> Press OK

You can now refresh SBT projects and it should work . if you want, you could uncheck "Use SBT shell for build and import" and it will also work


I was just having the same error with latest 2017.3 EAP version of Idea. I couldn't import a project and got the same error. The fix for me was to switch to another branch, import the project (which succeeded), then switch back to the original branch again and reimport the project in Idea (click on sbt refresh button).

There was never a problem running sbt in a terminal, only in Idea. Sounds like an Idea issue...


I also had this problem when I developed Spark using Intellij Idea, and I fix this by changing the "File -> Settings -> Build Tools -> sbt -> Group modules" to "using qualified names"

and make "File -> Settings -> Build Tools -> sbt -> Use sbt shell for build and import" selected.


In my case, I had a python module. Renamed externally and intellij fails to do anything related to modules structure. Including sbt refresh.

Use sbt shell didn't fix the issue. Invalidating cache and restart was not helping as well.

I've to delete the sbt.xml inside the project/.idea folder.

This will erase your current sbt settings. Not a bid deal since sbt wasn't working at all.


I experienced this today tried these things, which did NOT fix it:

  • Use SBT shell for build and import (SBT settings)
  • Invalidate the cache and restart

However the problem finally DID go away when I did this:

  • Increase SBT maximum heap size to 6000 (it was 5000)

I had the same issue today. My fix was to :

  • invalidate the cache
  • close Intellij
  • delete .idea
  • import project

Need Your Help

Django adminsite customize search_fields query

python django django-admin

In the django admin you can set the search_fields for the ModelAdmin to be able to search over the properties given there. My model class has a property that is not a real model property, means it ...

Python - Working around memory leaks

python memory-leaks

I have a Python program that runs a series of experiments, with no data intended to be stored from one test to another. My code contains a memory leak which I am completely unable to find (I've loo...